May 2017 Newsletter

3 Tips For A Healthy Summer

In the warmer, longer, lazier days of summer, the living may not be easy, but your life probably feels less chaotic. Even adults tend to adopt a "school's out!" attitude in summer. That's why this is a perfect time to improve your focus on creating healthy habits that will help you survive the summer without packing on the pounds.

Here are 3 tips that will provide you with some simple guidance for a fun yet healthy summer. Most of these tips are common sense, but are they common practice?

Tip #1: Survive BBQ season through moderation

During the summer, it seems like there’s another BBQ every week! Good news — you can enjoy a BBQ and still stick to your healthy-living nutrition plan. Remember the cardinal 80/20 rule — 80% of your food should be healthy while with the other 20% you can indulge a bit. Allowing yourself to indulge IN MODERATION is shown to make you more likely to stick to your health plan. You can also eat your 80% healthy foods at the BBQ as well — vegetables, lean meat, and fruits are all great choices that are perfect for a nice summer BBQ!

Tip #2: Hydrate

We all know how hot it gets in the summer. It is more important THAN EVER to stay hydrated! Aim to drink half your bodyweight in ounces, i.e. a 150 pound person would aim to drink 75 ounces of water. On days when you do a workout or when you find yourself a bit more sweatier than normal, make sure you drink extra — about 8-16 oz per hour when working out, depending on the intensity level. Tired of plain old water? Add flavor by adding in some lemon or lime (and make your own alkaline drink, which will may balance your body’s pH level).

Tip #3: Exercise during the cooler times of day

Avoid exercising in times of extreme heat — it puts your body under a lot of stress. Your body normally works to keep you cool through processes like sweating, but in high temperatures, these systems can be overworked and fail. You will find that you are sweating more, losing precious fluids which means you absolutely need to drink more water during hot weather. When that system fails, you may actually stop sweating - a definite sign that you should find a shadowed area to sit in while you drink water and cool your body down. Our early morning boot camp sessions are the perfect time of day during the summer — it’s still cool and the sun is not yet high overhead. If you can’t come to boot camp, schedule your workouts before 9am or after 6pm.

Sign up to get your FREE 5 Day Meal Plan and Exercise Video!

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required
Register Today!

Come see what EmpowerFIT boot camp is all about.

Sign Up

Follow Us on Social Media